Tuesday, February 24, 2009

ABCs and 123s...

I'm so proud that Tato has mastered his ABCs, 123s, and colors before the age of 2. Ric and I don't know what the average age of a child is when they learn these things, but regardless, it's a point of pride for us. He's always shown great interest in books and learning the alphabet, but not really the numbers. I figured that would come much later, but I was sorely mistaken. What felt like in 10 days time this month, he had learned his numbers, colors, and shapes! He even knows "oval" and "rectangle." I find it incredible that he can even attempt to say "rectangle" at this age.
Sure enough, wherever we are, he shouts out a letter, number, or shape that he sees. One night when he was washing his hands after dinner, he announced, "H-O-T. HOT!" I couldn't believe it! Maybe they taught him that at school but man, was I impressed at that moment and continue to be.
My only concern is that his love of "Thomas and Friends" totally takes over. The little man LOVES "Thomas and Friends" so much that when he wakes up in the morning he asks to watch "choo-choo trains." To balance things out, we have him watch an educational video before choo-choo train videos. He has to end the evening with a book, even if it is a Thomas book. However, we only keep learning books upstairs in his room, which thankly doesn't bother him at all.

No comments: